So i'm taking a little break from my study of Ecclesiastes and going to write about a lesson my youth pastor gave in youth group last week. Since all i have to go off of it the notes i took i can't promise it will be a great post. But i think the notes i took are pretty powerful on their own so maybe i won't have to add much to them.
Devotion To God
The lesson opened with Titus 2:11-13 (check it out yourself )which says "11For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. 12It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, 13while we wait for the blessed hope—the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ."
What does it mean to be devoted to God?
Well to know what it means to serve God we must know why we should serve God.
We Were Created To Love God. By loving Him we are serving Him because the love we have for Him drives us to obey Him and do the things He wants us to do. Psalms 139:13-14 says "13 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." check it out for yourself Just look at what God has done for us, He has made us fearfully and wonderfully. God created us with His own hands. That should be reason enough for us to love Him. God calls us to love Him in Deuteronomy 6:5 "5 Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength." check it out for yourself By loving God we show our devotion to Him.
We Were Created To Serve God. Serving God is obeying Him and doing what He calls us to do to further His kingdom. We are to be disciples for Christ. Sharing God's love wherever we go. It should be evident in our lives that we are Christian. We should act in a way that people wonder why we're different. Worshiping God is also a way we can serve God, He calls us to do it. " 8Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Worship the Lord your God and serve him only'"" Luke 4:8. Serving God is a way we show Him and other that we are devoted to Him.
Actions to consider...
- Desire God Beyond All Things
- "Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you." Psalms 73:25
- Sacrifice Everything For God
- Fail & Receive God's Grace and Instruction
- "If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." John 1:8-9
- "Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need." Hebrews 4:16
- Persist Even When It's Painful
- "That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." 2 Corinthians 12:10
- Obey What I Already Know To Be True
- "for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose." Philipians 2:13
The comment Jimmy made about how Cody's life wouldn't get any better than it was at the moment she was with Justin should be like our devotion to Christ. We should have any better time in life than the times when we are devoted to God. It should bring us joy to be serving our God and Creator.
So what are you going to be devoted?
As always, if you have any questions or comments i would absolutely love to hear from you!! Email Me